Meet Ryan Malott
What is your official job title at EHS and a general description of your job duties?
As the Hazardous Materials Coordinator, I ...
- represent EHS and provide advice and support to FOD’s Design and Construction group for environmental issues and concerns.
- ensure environmental compliance with regulations.
- coordinate hazardous materials remediation efforts with university architects, engineers, and users.
- conduct hazardous materials assessments and designs.
- perform oversight and administration of selected environmental remediation projects.
- manage university hazardous materials building surveys and O&M programs.
- perform EHS training to Facilities Operations and Development and various user groups.
- participate in the EHS emergency response team.
When did you begin working for Ohio State?
- I started on April 30, 2012.
How long have you been with EHS?
- Since my start, 7.5 years.
Why did you decide on a career in health and safety?
- My father worked for the Cleveland City Schools, Building Trades Division, and was the EHS designated person. My initial interest in EHS was through career-shadowing his job duties and overall responsibilities as related to the management of hazardous materials in the built environment. And I am passionate about the environment and protecting the health and safety of others.
What is your favorite thing about Ohio State?
- Well, I have several. I get to work with various teams to develop strategic viable solutions that will enhance the environmental sustainability and culture of the university. I like educating and training user groups, workers, interns, and teams about EHS-related issues. I appreciate the loyalty and dedication that the faculty and staff commit to the university.
What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling, playing the drums, and watching and participating in sports (skiing, golfing, wakeboarding).
What is your favorite quote, TV show, movie, or book?
- Movie – “Heat,” about a group of professional bank robbers who start to feel the heat from police when they unknowlingly leave a clue at their latest heist.