Meet Tina Bogac
What is your official job title at EHS and a general description of your job duties?
- As of June 1, 2018, my job title is Senior Director, Environmental Health and Safety. I am responsible for oversight of the EHS program here at The Ohio State University, including everything from employee safety to research laboratory safety to proper waste disposal and environmental permitting.
When did you begin working for Ohio State? How long have you been with EHS?
- I started in January 2008. I have been with EHS since I started working at Ohio State.
Why did you decide on a career in health and safety?
- Actually, the health and safety profession really chose me. After graduating from college with a degree in microbiology, I was working for a 3rd-party standards organization as a program manager. The company was downsizing, and I found myself without a job. I decided to move out east and applied for a job at the University of Pennsylvania as a Biosafety Officer. I had some relevant experience but really no idea what the job entailed. Needless to say, I got the job, and my new career took off from there. I was lucky enough to land a job here at Ohio State, closer to my family, in 2008 and haven’t looked back since.
What is your favorite thing about Ohio State?
- My favorite thing about Ohio State is the people. I have had the opportunity to meet, attend classes, and work with so many wonderful and fascinating people in my 10 years here at Ohio State. It really is like having a huge, extended family. Everywhere you go, you are bound to run into someone who sees your Ohio State t-shirt or hat and shouts “O-H”!
What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- I am a huge sports fan! I love the Buckeyes and the Steelers and am a Blue Jackets season-ticket holder. Someday I hope to see the Jackets hoist the Stanley Cup right here in Columbus!
What is your favorite: quote or TV show, movie, or book?
- I love to read, on average about 3 books a month. I don’t really have a favorite book, but I typically read crime novels and of course an occasional management book. As far as movies are concerned, I’m a big fan of animated movies like "Despicable Me," "The Incredibles," and "Monsters Inc."