Bad Day in the Lab - Power Strips
Here are just a few safety reminders when using power strips:
- Use only UL-approved power strips.
- Do not overload power strips. Power strips typically are rated for 15 amps. UL recommends not exceeding 80% or 12 amps.
- Do not fasten power strips to building surfaces or furniture (note: power strips are considered fastened to a surface if it requires a tool for removal).
- Do not daisy power strips or extension cords with power strips. Extension cords should not be plugged into power strips.
- Do not hang power strips by the cord.
- When using power strips on a lab bench, lay them on their side to prevent liquids from getting into the outlets.
- Do not use power strips in areas where they can be damaged, such as construction zones.
- Do not conceal power strips.