Spray Bottles vs. Wash Bottles

What's Best for Your BSC?

Many researchers on campus use spray bottles of 10% bleach and 70% ethanol to decontaminate biosafety cabinets. Using spray bottles to do this is not recommended. The aerosol bleach droplets created by the spray bottle are not always cleaned up correctly with the ethanol. Over time, the missed droplets cause a cloudy white film, pitting, and corroding in the biosafety cabinet. There is also internal damage done to the motor and windings when spray bottles are used in biosafety cabinets. The aerosols of both bleach and ethanol are drawn up into the cabinet and over time will eat away the lacquer that covers the open motor wiring. Once the protective lacquer is gone, the exposed wires will short out. Using spray bottles also voids manufacturers’ warranties, and labs may be held liable by their departments for damages due to improper use of equipment. Wash bottles are recommended for bleach and ethanol use in the biosafety cabinet. If you have additional questions, please contact your laboratory safety representative.