Safety Brief - Lifting Safety
Lift Smart - Think, Then Start!
Lifting heavy items is one of the biggest causes of injury in the workplace.
Improper heavy lifting can lead to:
- Back injuries
- Strains and Sprains
Lifting is a breeze when you bend at the knees!
- Always bend at the knees when lifting an object.
- If an object is too heavy, get help. The maximum lifting weight for any individual should not exceed 50 pounds.
- Use equipment, like a hand truck, to do the heavy lifting.
- Turn with your legs, not your back.
Stay in your “Power Zone.”
- The power zone for lifting is close to the body, between mid-thigh and mid-chest height. This zone is where your arms and back can lift the most with the least amount of stress.